[aka Bullseye, Hard Copy, The Holmes Family Newsletter]
Diane now a doctor
Call her "Dr. Holmes" now. Diane Holmes, D.C., to be exact. She passed her exams last month and is now officially a chiropractor! Diane stated,"It wasn't easy. There were hardly any multiple choice questions!" She is now officially a yuppie.
Steve crashes car
Steve was playing tag with a tractor-trailer rig on the freeway again recently when it almost turned to disaster! Steve found himself in between the fast-moving truck behind him and an unmoving line of cars in front of him. To avoid being sandwiched, Steve quickly swerved into the next lane. It was a nifty bit of evasive action. Unfortunately, the truck swerved into the same lane at the same time and bumped into Steve's pickup. Steve was uninjured but there was major damage to the rear-end of his car. When will Steve learn not to play on the freeway?
We talked to Bill about it, and here's what he had to say:
- BILLY CLUB: So, you were fired?
- BILL: Yeah.
- BC: You don't seem too upset about it.
- BILL: No. Actually, I'm quite encouraged. Most of the world's great writers couldn't hold jobs, either, you know. So, I'm right on track as far as that goes.
- BC: I see. So, why were you fired?
- BILL: I was late a few times, and I refused to kiss up.
- BC: Those were the official reasons?
- BILL: Something like that.
- BC: Well, have you learned your lesson?
- BILL: What lesson is that?
- BC: Everybody thinks you're a shthead now, you know.
- BILL: Who does?
- BC: Well, everybody.
- BILL: Names! I want names!
- BC: Just look in the phonebook and pick out a few.
[A short recess is taken while Bill looks through phonebook.]
- BC: Let's continue, shall we? So, what are your plans for the future?
- BILL: I'm thinking of running for public office.
- BC: But seriously, what are your plans?
- BILL: I am serious. But, just in case I'm not elected, I'm going to a trade school to learn computer programming.
- BC: Okay. So, what will become of the newsletter?
- BILL: I think I owe it to my public to continue the newsletter, don't you?
- BC: I guess so. Do you plan on staying in Sacramento?
- BILL: Depends.
- So how do you like the new name for the newsletter? I have no idea where I got the idea for the name. Would you like to be a member of the Billy Club? Sure you would. Just send $59.95, plus shipping and handling.
- Remember the pastor in Steve and Denise's wedding? Well, he seems to have his own t.v. show in Sacramento every Sunday morning called "The Best Is Yet to Be", or something like that. Do I watch the show? Of course not. I just saw the promo.
- Well, Steve accomplished his New Year's resolution. He beat Bill in tennis, six games to five. Bill had him down five games to four but choked under pressure. A disconsolate Bill explained, "The sun was in my eyes." Stay tuned for Uno Mas: Blood on the Blacktop!
- File this one under Stupid: One of Denise's fellow teachers has a Vietnamese student named "Air Conditioner." Yes, you read it right. Apparently, the student's parents wanted to give the kid an American name, so they decided to choose the first American word they saw. You can figure out the rest.
- Lucy threw another one of her gala bashes at her home high up in the hills of Livingston last week. All five of her friends were there. And everything was going fine until the crowd turned ugly and started throwing oranges. Then, a couple of partygoers got totally out of line, whipped out the chainsaws, and cut down her backyard fence! "Just a typical party, really," Lucy said, rubbing an orange-size bruise on her leg.
SO MUCH FOR SACRIFICIAL RITES
by Bill Holmes
The High Priest announced, "We must sacrifice a human life tonight." The crowd of Mibuku natives milling around the fire immediately tensed and fell silent. Suddenly, the High Priest pointed his holy finger at a lowly servant fanning the Queen. The servant shrieked.
Royal guards descended from their place upon the sacrificial platform, seized the servant and dropped him indelicately upon the platform. The servant immediately raised himself to his knees and, with clasped hands, proceeded to beg for mercy.
"Your Holiness!", the lowly servant began. "We have already sacrificed three pigs tonight! Is that not enough?"
His Holiness surprised everyone by actually answering the servant's plea.
No, it is not enough! There must be a human sacrifice."
"Why don't you get one of the royalty?" the servant suggested helpfully. The milling crowd let out a collective gasp. "One of them would surely make a better sacrifice than I."
"Certainly not!" The High Priest was appalled, but at the same time intrigued by the servant's nerve.
"Okay," the servant bartered, seizing the opportunity."How about if I gather up all the pigs on the island and dump them into the sacrificial pit. There must be hundreds of them damned pigs on this island. In fact…"
"Silence!," His Holiness screamed. "There is going to be a human sacrifice tonight and you are it!"
The crowd listened intently to this dialogue. They hadn't had this much entertainment since, well, since the last human sacrifice.
Oh come on," the servant shrieked, to which the crowd roared in delight. "Let's be reasonable," he said. "I mean, how much of an offer am I to the Gods – a lowly servant with dish-pan hands? I say 'Give the little guy a break.' And if you really want to please the Gods, throw the Queen into the pit!" The crowd again gasped in horror. But the little servant continued on."She deserves it anyway, the old cow. Do you know what it's like working for her? It's 'Do this, do that.' There's no breaks! I tell you . . ."
Before the servant could finish, four soldiers picked him up by the arms and threw him into the sacrificial pit. THE END.
This is the poll to end all polls. We're going to decide once and for all right here and now what you think about the important issues.
- Who is your all-time favorite movie cowboy?
- Your favorite movie tough guy?
- Your favorite movie tough chick?
- Your favorite television animal?
- If you had to choose between being flat broke or stupid, which would it be?
- If you had a pet monkey, what would you call it?
- If it was Thursday, and the wind was blowing from the West, how long would it take to get from New York to Los Angeles?
- If you won the Lotto, would you keep your job?
- If you lost your job, would you play the Lotto?
Now, write your answers down on a piece of paper, carefully crumple it up… and throw it away.
- "You look different over the phone."
- "I wonder how many people have died in the waiting room."
- "As long as we stay in the crosswalk, the cars have to stop. "
- "You're only young once, but you can be immature forever." – Houston Astros player
- "A classic is a book that is praised by all and read by no one." – Mark Twain
Don, February 16
Eleanor February 22
[Didn't mention Mike's birthday in the last issue. Well, he celebrated "The Big 21" on January 18! Of course, in Germany the legal drinking age is 12, so it wasn't that big a deal for him.]